Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Dive Comany and Site Recommendations Needed Please

HOME Forums Water Sports Diving Dive Comany and Site Recommendations Needed Please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Briansly
    briansly

I will be in Grand Cayman from Dec 31 to Jan 5.

I am a certified diver who normally only dives 1- 2 times per year when on vacation in Hawaii.

I am looking for a recommendation for unusual / unique dive sites in Grand Cayman that I will not be able to find elsewhere to make this trip memorable.

I am staying on Seven Mile Beach and will dive 1 – 2 mornings.

I do have a tendency to get seasick, so I would like to keep the number of divers to around 8 so that I do not have to wait long on the boat.

Do you have any recommendations for Dive Companies to use and / or dive sites?

Many thanks.

Brian

Ravenchylde
    Ravenchylde

Hello and welcome briansly!

Try Neptunes if you will be staying on 7MB. RC

Divnpaul
    divnpaul

As RC said, you can’t go wrong with Neptune’s. I,ve dived with them on many occasions. Keith and Casey go so far as being wonderful hosts, and make you feel like one of their friends when you are diving with them. They will pick you up at your hotel on SMB and drop you off when you’re finished. One point to make… they usually moor their boat on the beach, so you’ll have to walk through knee deep water to board. But not to worry, they’ll help you with all your gear.

As for dive sites, well, they’re ALL good!! A couple special ones are Orange Canyon, Big Tunnel and Trinity Caves on the West side and Tarpon Alley, Eagle RayPpass and the always amazing Ghost Mountain on the North. They will ask what you dove prior so you won’t do it twice. (Unless you want to..) They even do requests! (We did one by e-mail last year!)

Check all the other post about them in this section. Join them, you just can’t go wrong. (Tell them the CAG Fearless Foursome sent ya!)

Dsellars
    dsellars

[img class="bbcode-color">images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I can’t wait to go back…. and will definately dive with them next time] [img class="bbcode-color">images/smiles/rose.gif[/img]]

briansly,

I agree with all the great sites Divnpaul listed. After diving with many different companies on Grand Cayman through the years I finally tried Neptunes last year and can truly say their service rose above the rest. I like the small group (no more than eight divers – if that) and their knowledge of dive sites. Keith and Casey are great! I am in the process of booking with them again for this winter.

For something else that is pretty unique you may want to check out the shore dive at Eden Rock. While this isn’t the best shore dive on the island, if you have any snorkelers travelling with you they can ‘hover’ above while you cruise through the swim throughs and grottos below. Great spot to see turtles, rays, nurse sharks etc. They also have lockers and parking at their dive shop right on shore.

gd :diving:

Divnpaul
    divnpaul

Hey Geoff, whasssup!!?!! Tell Keith and Casey I said hello. We’re actually heading to the Keys this spring. I’d like to check out the Speigel Grove if I can.. Say Hi to Mollie and the kids. ~Paul

Briansly
    briansly

Thank you for all the comments and advice.

Are there enough good and different spots to do 4 dives on the West Side?

Or should I move around to different locations?

Are the different locations worth the extra drive?

Also, what spots do you recommend for the best shore diving?

Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum, briansly 🙂 ,

To answer your question…..yes, there are definitely more than 4 interesting and unique dive sites on the West Side, so no worries there. I think what you’ll find, actually, though, is that the weather and the conditions of the day will determine exactly where you will be diving each day. Most dive operators servicing the 7 Mile Beach area, try to dive on the North Wall whenever the weather permits, so you may find that you’re going there. When the North is rough, the West is usually calm enough to dive. When both North and West are rough, most dive operators move their boats to the South Side and dive there. At least that’s how it is in the winter, when I go to Cayman.

I have never driven to the East Side to try the diving there, but others say it is well worth the effort. Again, the weather may weigh in on the decision for that.

As far as shore diving, I have to recommend a wonderful new spot…..actually the dive site isn’t new, but the shop operating on the premises is….check this out http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/images/ButtonHere.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />. The site is the Turtle Reef, but you’ll want to access it behind the Cracked Conch restaurant. The name of the shop is Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch and it’s run by a good friend of mine, Ollen Mlller. There are two coupons in the Activity Guide which can save you some money there, too! You can either use one for a 10% discount on the shore dive, or you can use the one for a shore dive, appetizer and drink (at the Macabuca bar right there) for only $19! What a deal!

Another great spot for shore diving is at Eden Rock, but try to go when cruise ships aren’t in.

Have fun!

Char

Divesergeant
    divesergeant
    Participant

Way cool. We dived this last year at night when Divetech was operating it. The reef is close to the entry and the critters were plentiful. This’ll go on our must do list…

ds

Ollen has installed a new ladder there too, which I guess is the “talk of the town”. Apparently, it’s more of a ramp than a ladder and you can just walk right up and out of the water. I can’t wait to see it for myself in February.

Joe has pictures of it, which I’m hoping to see when he gets a chance :poke:

Char

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE