Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 71.4°F / 21.9°C | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph / 3.2km/h | Water Temperature: 85 ° F
FAQFAQ TOSTOSSearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Not happy with RedSail

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Diving

View previous topic :: View next topic  

rgrodayReply with quote
Credits:
(1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Not happy with RedSail

This is what I sent to Red Sails Dive Director, Its been 3 days and only his assistant has replied that he is out sick.

On July 14th, My son and daughter and I, sailed on the ' Reef' out of the Westin for a 2pm 1 tank dive on Paradise Reef and the Wreak of the Orda Verde.

Once underway the captain (we do not remember his name, but the schedule should tell you who) informed the 6-7 certified divers that this was a 2000lb dive, with no further explanation. unfortunately, I did not question it. (there was another group aboard of Resort Divers, with their own guide)

Being our first dive together as a family, and to get acclimated, this was a critical dive to us. Not the least of which, this was my 14 year olds 1st dive, after gaining certification the week prior. We had some minor fogging issues and BC issues, but over came them, only to find we'd blown through some 500-750lbs of air, each. We continued with the dive, the wreck first and then onto the reef. we worked very hard at conserving the little air we had left, but to no avail. My son and I hit 750lbs some 23 minutes into the dive and we headed for 15 feet for our safety stop after informing our divemaster. Rachel came up 7-10 minutes later, when she hit 750 and did her safety stop.

I have never been limited in my 20+ dives to 2000lbs, and I can tell you that this was a big disappointment for my kids, esp, since RedSail came so highly recommended.

We dove with Tortuga later in the week with 3200psi to start and with Eden Rock with 3500psi. We intend on returning to Grand Cayman soon, but it will be some effort to spend any time with Red Sail again. Twisted Evil

38 people like this post.

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

So sorry to hear that Rob. Red Sail is not a company that we recommend. I'm sure you will have a much better experience next time, with any other dive operator. I've been a dive instructor for over 20 years and never even heard of any company intentionally short-filling their guests.

43 people like this post.

rgrodayReply with quote
Credits:
(1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Glad to hear that.

Thanks Joe, I was so focused on my kids, I didn't catch the shortage, even though announced. RedSail seems to be hidden, corporate structure wise, just so they can hide from folks like me, looking for refunds.

So I will hurt them here and other forums.

Thanks for your support....

BTW, can you live on being a dive master down there? I'm 53, very very technical, and would love to pursue an encore career.

41 people like this post.

billinwilliamstReply with quote
Temporary Resident
Credits:
(7)

Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

There are very few dive masters working in Cayman. Nearly everyone you see working on a dive boat is an instructor. You can make ends meet being an instructor, but you certainly won't get rich.

Edited By : billinwilliamst Thursday, 24 July 2014 08:10:47 AM.
40 people like this post.
rgrodayReply with quote
Credits:
(1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: WIfe wants rich, i want peace and less corporate crapola

Thanks for the insight...

40 people like this post.
Page 1 of 1

Rate as     
__  based on no votes ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions